Saturday, October 23, 2010

A SECOND OPINION

I recently reviewed Pirramimma's 2010 Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc. Although the wine wasn't particularly suited to my tastes, I could tell there would be a market for it out there somewhere. Thanks to Grays Online, who supplied two sample bottles, I had the opportunity to pass a bottle onto someone whose tastes might more appreciate the Late Harvest Savvy style. Enter my friend of 6 years Shane, a 23 year old whisky and coke drinker who if forced to lean towards wine, would favour a moscato. Shane's enthusiasm for the complementary bottle of wine lead him to take a note on it, which I've posted below. (click on the image to enlarge).
To say the least I'm exceptionally impressed with the range of descriptors Shane has used to describe the wine, in what is his first ever tasting note, but perhaps most of all I'm glad he enjoyed it. His frank honesty is wonderfully refreshing to me. I like the line; "overall definatly a shane wine', because I for one believe there are more 'Shanes' out there drinking wine than there are 'Chris Plummers'. Shanes of the wine drinking world rejoice; Pirramimma's 2010 Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc is a great little drop!


2 comments:

  1. Good work Mr Plummer. We so often get caught up in our own wine world sometimes and fail to realise that wine, after all, is just a drink. Perspectives like Shane's help reinforce that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers AG. I'll pass the message onto Shane!

    I've always thought that the 'standard' wine drinker really needs someone to speak for them in the wine world, someone who drinks like them and relates to wine like them. Peter Forrestal does a good job with his quaff books, but at the same time he reviews wine with all the technical experience of a seasoned veteran, which isn't how most quaffers actually consume wine.

    I guess the difficulty is that you can hand a bottle of wine to a quaffer and say; 'here, review this', and they might come up with an accurate evaluation from a wine quaffer sense, but the more they review the more they start to learn about wine consumption/assessment, and the more they start to lose touch with the average wine quaffer.

    ReplyDelete