Friday, September 11, 2009

DISH 4: TENDERIDGE EYE FILLET, CHARGRILLED WITH PARSNIP AND POTATO DAUPHINOISE, SPINACH PUREE, ROASTED MUSHROOMS AND BLACK TRUFFLE BUTTER


The promise of black truffle butter forced me to order the steak. I'm a bit of a truffle freak. Whenever I see it appear on a menu, I can't help but order whatever it is. The truffle in this dish was fairly underpronounced though, yet it was apparent. The spinach puree, roasted mushrooms and potato dauphinoise all met the expectations of a $40 plate (I particularly liked the cubed presentation of the dauphinoise), but the focal point was where it should be; the steak. I've never had tenderidge eye fillet before, but if I ever get the chance again, I'll definitely head straight for it. Its texture was amazing, you could just chomp straight through it. It was meaty, deeply flavoured and tasted like steak should, with only a hint of truffle evident in every bite. It was neither too juicy or tender and the jus matched every bit as well as Voyager Estate's 2004 Cabernet Merlot did. An exemplary steak.

continued next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment